I recently purchased a few pairs of patent shoes. I've realized it's much more difficult to wear them for everyday use and that they require greater attention and care than matte leather. Here are a few reasons why:
- Creasing - working in a highly physical environment can put strain on the patent and cause noticeable creases across the front of the shoe.
- Intense shine - patent shoes by nature reflect light and can stand out easily from the rest of your outfit. Wear them with a patterned suit or a dark sport coat to dress up your overall look.
Caring for patent leather is key to increasing its longevity. Here are some tips to keeping them looking fresh:
- Clean and wipe off water and dirt using smooth shoe polishing cloths.
- Shine leather using shoe polish to maintain its glow.
- Avoid shoe sprays or brushes as they are not necessary and can hard the patent material.
- Insert shoe trees after each use to minimize creasing.
Patent leather shoes are a must-own item. Look out for them on your next venture to the shoe store. You'll be sure to receive compliments.